update manager refuses to upgrade kernel to newer version

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:59:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Here's quite an oldie that I missed for about a month.
> On the thin clients, the kernel is stuck on v3.13.0-46-generic.
> The system keeps downloading v3.13.0-77 but the following
> tidal wave of info pops-up on a windows that I cannot make
> heads or tails out of it :
>
> SNIP

dpkg tries twice to configure linux-image-... and fails because of
"/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev
mounted?)."

It's probably related to your use of a thin client. I'm unfamiliar
with LTSP so I can only guess at what the problem might be. I assume
that you're updating the image on the server via a chroot so you
should check whether "/dev" is bind-mounted in the chroot.