update manager refuses to upgrade kernel to newer version

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Fri Feb 12 14:29:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:35:55 +0000 (UTC), Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
>Hi Ralph :
>
>>  The culprit seems to be
>>  /usr/sbin/grub-probe.
>

>Arrrghh  !!

Regarding the Internet it's a GRUB2 bug, that doesn't allow to run it
in e.g. a chroot.

I'm a GRUB 2 user, but 1. I edit grub.cfg manually, no grub-thingy
runs to do this for me and 2. it's neither part of a Linux install on
my machine that ever gets updated. I installed Arch and Ubuntu without
GRUB2. If I use systemd-nspawn to update a kernel for Arch by Ubuntu or
for Ubuntu by Arch, GRUB2 has got no impact.

Either separate GRUB2 from Ubuntu and complete purge it from Ubuntu, or
use a better boot loader, there are not much reasons to use the crappy
GRUB(2) or disable that auto-thingy of GRUB2.

IIRC most experienced Linux users prefer Syslinux over any other
boot loader, but for the UEFI fans it might not be good to use it.
I'm not using UEFI, IIRC I hoped that GRUB2 could multi-boot with
FreeBSD without chainloading, what couldn't be done with Syslinux, but
in the end I needed to chainload using GRUB2 too.