Title bar/menu problem on 14.04

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 17:56:56 UTC 2016

On 02/11/2016 04:39 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2016, 21:08 -0600 schrieb Jim Byrnes:
>> On 02/10/2016 07:00 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> Am Mittwoch, 10. Februar 2016 21:26:56 CET schrieb Jim Byrnes
>>> <jf_byrnes at comcast.net>:
>>> .

>>> sounds like some essential bit of your desktop is missing... Is the
>>> ubuntu-desktop package still installed ?
>>>
>>> ciao
>>> ..  oli
>>>

>> According to Synaptic ubuntu-desktop version 1.325 is installed.
>>
> then i guess your config is messed up by some third party tool you used.
> the menus should definitely never be in an actual menubar unless you
> removed the package implementing the appmenu completely (but then you
> would have menubars in all apps). do you see the same under a guest
> login ?
>
> ciao
> 	oli

oli,

In a guest session and on my laptop which I have not customized the
menus do appear in the titlebar and not in the old style menu bar on the
terminal and gedit.

Above you mention removing the package implementing the appmenu
completely. What package would that be? It would be great to have the
menubar menus on everything.

After some googling I did uninstall appment-indicator briefly. I did
this after I began having trouble with the menus. It seemed to remove
all menus and allowed you to make them visible by hitting F10. This was
as much of distraction and having to remember click them faster so I
re-installed it.

Regards,  Jim