how to update a non-official app/repo

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 9 10:04:19 UTC 2016

On Tue, 9/2/16, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:

 Subject: Re: how to update a non-official app/repo
 To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
 Cc: "Spyros Tsiolis" <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
 Date: Tuesday, 9 February, 2016, 11:11

 On Tue, 9 Feb 2016
 08:16:56 +0000 (UTC)
 Spyros Tsiolis <stsiol at yahoo.co.uk>
 wrote:

 > Hello again,
 >
 > I have hylafax
 installed on a server and

 "yet-another-java-hyla-fax-client" (YAJHFC) on the
 clients.

 > It used
 to work fine for about two years.
 > The
 other day, it stopped working.

 > I suspect a java upgrade from the official
 repos.
 > Anywhoo, the main thing is that
 it's not working anymore

 (something about a named pipe not existing anymore).

 > The question is
 this; How do I proceed with it ?
 > Do I
 try an "apt-get update" ? Do I get rid of the
 old
 > version and try installing the new
 one ?

 Well, that's the
 problem with using software from outside the official
 repos :) According to the YAJHFC website[1}
 there was a release on
 2016-01-11. If that
 version is newer than the one you have installed,
 maybe you should try to update. There seems to
 be a repository
 available, the usual caveats
 apply.

 If that doesn't
 work, try checking the wiki or mailing list archives
 (links are on the website) to see if this has
 been solved before, or ask
 on that mailing
 list. You can try this approach first, but they might
 just ask you to update to the latest version
 before they are willing to
 look into it.

 As a last resort, downgrade
 Java (or the client, if that is what was
 updated, dig through apt logs to find out) to
 the version that works. Or
 find another
 client.

 Petter

 [1] http://www.yajhfc.de/

 --
 "I'm ionized"
 "Are you sure?"

Thanks Petter,

As a result , I uninstalled the "yajhfc" packages from synaptic, checked my documentation
again and re-installed from command line (apt-get install yajhfc and other).

Now it works.

Thank you for your patience,

spyros