Haproxy 1.6 for 14.04/15.04/15.10

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Mon Feb 8 20:01:01 UTC 2016

This might be a rather stupid question, but since I couldn't really find
anything like an answer via the Google, I thought I'd hit up the list.

I'm getting ready to setup a pair of load balanced web server using a
version of Ubuntu (currently the web servers are 14.04 LTS) and HAProxy.
I've already got a 4-node DB cluster running with HAProxy 1.5 on 15.10 and
it works great.

My question is this: I really want to use HAProxy 1.6 on both load
balancers, but I'm hesitant to use the Ubuntu PPA that has the 1.6 package
available.  I'd really prefer for 1.6 to be backported to 15.10 so I can
update through the usual ubuntu channels rather than the PPA.  What's the
SOP on that sort of thing?

Also, if I use the PPA repo and it gets backported will it break if I
update it?  I'm not sure I'm looking for a definitive answer (unless there
is one) as much as other users experiences with this sort of thing.

--

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* International Education

Global learning for all.