Pitfalls of the Ubuntu bug tracker - Was: volume past 100% and vol control

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Feb 8 11:15:49 UTC 2016

I only changed the subject, but kept the thread, since the issue is
quasi solved and became a discussion about the bug tracker.

On Mon, 8 Feb 2016 08:50:14 +0100, Gary J. Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> 'yes' is not a valid answer to the question 'how did you report the
>> bug'.  I am interested to know how the system decided for you which
>> package to use.  Normally one has to do it oneself.  I usually use
>> ubuntu-bug <package_name>
>
>Misread your question.  I left the package blank as I do not know what
>package to use. The bug system stuck one in there.  Ihave no idea if
>it's the correct package.

What way did you chose to report the bug?

Colin e.g. uses command line 'ubuntu-bug <package_name>'.

1. I visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ with a browser and log in.

2. The "Report a bug" link there leads to a help page, so I need to
   search one or ten hours to find out, how to report a bug. It works
   like this: Click on an existing bug and click the "Report a bug" link
   there.

3. The problem is, that at this time it's automatically assigned to the
   same package as the bug report I selected. However, I add the
   summary, aka subject and continue, then there is the question "In
   what package did you find this bug?". There you can assign the bug
   against another package.

If you used the bug tracker in the way most Linux users do, excepted of
perhaps Ubuntu users, then it's indeed a little bit tricky, since by
searching for a way to file a bug report you get stressed and you
might not notice that you can assign the bug to package, other than the
package that was selected automatically. If you notice it, but you
don't know against what package to file the bug report you are screwed.
To know what package is affected is for newbies not that easy, since
e.g. one app from upstream often is split in to several packages, so
even if you know what app is affected, you not necessarily know what of
the seven packages, is the correct package.

It's not that insane, when doing it for the Ubuntu flavour Ubuntu
Studio.

1. I visit https://launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-project with a browser
   and log in.

2. I click "Report a bug" and can add a summary, aka subject without
   the need to search one or ten hours.

3. There's no need and no way to assign it to a package, other than by
   the subject, aka summary.

I'm using open source bug trackers for likely more than ten years now
and never have seen such a bad designed bug tracker as the Ubuntu one.

Regards,
Ralf