Upgrading from Hardy

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 21:03:10 UTC 2016

On 6 February 2016 at 19:04, Gregory Gamble <greg.gamble at uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Let's start with how old ... I got it from Dell in January 2008.
>
>   PC type: Dell Inspiron 531S
>   RAM: 1.9 GiB
>   Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ x2
>   Graphics Card: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/Integrated/SSE2
>     - Vendor: nVidia
>   OS type: 64-bit
>   HD:   243.9 GB
> As you can see from above ... only 8 (possibly really 9) ... and it does read DVDs (but I wasn't sure about that when I started)
> but what you are saying is that when Trusty is end of life, I may have trouble with my next upgrade.

It's a 64 bit processor with a couple of GB of RAM so that should not
be a problem.  I don't know about nvidia graphics though.

If I were installing onto a machine today I would put Xenial on it and
accept the fact that it things might occasionally be interesting over
the next couple of months.  One of mine has been running Xenial for a
couple of months and I haven't had a single significant problem in
that time.  If you use any s/w from ppa's though that may not be a
good idea as ppas tend not to build for pre-release versions of
Ubuntu.

If you don't fancy that, though, stick with 14.04 for the moment.
Then when 16.04 has been out a few months burn it to a DVD and see if
it runs ok of the DVD.  If it does then there should be no problems
upgrading.

Colin