off-topic, thunderbird

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Feb 4 21:52:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 16:15:11 -0500, Doug wrote:
>On 02/04/2016 03:49 AM, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
>> Chaps,
>>
>> this is off-topic. So ignore it if you want;
>>
>> Does anyone know what is the story with mozilla thunderbird ?
>> Is it still under development ?
>> Did I read correctly somewhere on the web that mozilla will
>> stop maintaining it ?
>>
>> s.
>>

>I haven't heard that--they've been updating everything every few
>weeks. Maybe if they stop updating things we'd be better off!

Hi,

there is an official Mozilla channel, Wiki, thy might not give much
information, but there are still quotes of official statements
available in the Internet. Most important at the moment seems to be what
is mentioned about "support" and what is mentioned about the plan for
the future. Since the OP didn't post a link to a source of information,
I didn't feel the need to reply about rumours before. However, it's not
that hard to use a search engine and to find an official statement.
There's no need for me to check any information about Icedove, but
perhaps it's interesting for some users that Ubuntu's upstream Debian,
since for around ten years or so cared about an unbranded approach to
provide a "free" version of Thunderbird. In addition they cared (and
still care) about the browser too, so there is Iceweasel, let alone
other projects, such as IceCat, Palemoon and the Firefox alike QupZilla.
For my Ubuntu Wily I'm using Claws as the MUA and IceCat and QupZilla
as browser. Mozilla projects are forked since a very long time. Perhaps
the OP should ask, what happens to the Mozilla Thunderbird fork Icedove,
assumed Thunderbird one day should be discontinued.

Regards,
Ralf