How are programs executed in Ubuntu?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 4 12:20:24 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2016, 22:37 +0000 schrieb Colin Law:
> I find that desktop files /do/ work in
> /usr/local/share/applications. So Pete was right all along and I lose
> and that should be the recommended place for all-user desktop files.
> For the record it is not necessary to logout and in again, the files
> are picked up immediately.   Also it doesn't seem to matter whether
> they are executable (I believe when they are in
> .local/share/applications they do need to be executable, or at least
> that is what I determined some time ago) or who they are owned by.

whatever you  choose (it is really personal preference if you want to
use ~/.local or /usr/local on a single user system. if you want a system
wide change on a multi-user system you rather pick the latter, if you
want the file backed up together with the user data ~/.local is probably
the better place even in multi-user), it should be noticed that you
should never touch existing .desktop files in /usr/share/applications
(copy it to one of the above dirs and make your changes there instead)
since these are owned by packages. an update to the package will eat
your changes and just revert the files to their default.

ciao
	oli