iSCSI + GFS for web servers

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Tue Feb 2 13:18:21 UTC 2016

Yes, I know there are many ways to deal with this situation.  I've managed
Petabyte SANs before for NOAA.  This isn't a situation that requires a PB
level solution.  We're looking at a TB tops within the next 24 months based
on current baseline data.  With that said, I'm not really looking for a
storage *cluster* as much as I am storage being accessed by multiple
servers that just happen to both be web servers.  I considered using
FreeNAS, but it's almost verboten to use virtually.  I was going to use
OpenFiler, but there are many posts concerning it's future development and
it's very slow release cycle.

So, it made sense to me to just build a Ubuntu VM with LIO and GFS2 on it,
so that both web servers can access user created content from a central
location.  Google has been somewhat helpful, but only significantly for RH
based VMs.  While I can certainly throw in a RH server for this, I'd prefer
to keep things simple and keep things All-Ubuntu if possible.  That's why I
asked this list.

Is it not possible to use iSCSI for multiple servers to access a GFS volume
on that server and have Server A see new files uploaded by Server B without
the need to the web front ends to build a 'cluster' for the storage?  I
never had to do that with GFS1 that I can recall.

I thought this might be a simple question to ask, but either I asked it
very wrongly, or no one has set up a design like this before using Ubuntu.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Steven Jones <Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I can see what you are about and its similar to what I assumed, I still
> have reservations on using iSCSI.    There are several ways to skin a cat.
> MANAGING UNSTRUCTURED DATA AT PETABYTE-SCALE
> <http://www.storageconsortium.de/content/sites/default/files/downloads_registrated/RedHat_2013-11-14-RHS-SC-D%C3%BCsseldorf.pdf>
> www.storageconsortium.de
> MANAGING UNSTRUCTURED DATA AT PETABYTE-SCALE Joachim Schröder Manager
> Solution Architects, DACH Email: joachim.schroeder at redhat.com November,
> 14th 2013

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer
*VIF* International Education
P.O. Box 3566 ::: Chapel Hill, N.C. 27515 ::: USA
919-265-5006 office

Global learning for all.
www.vifprogram.com
<http://www.vifprogram.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=VIF>