Title bar/menu problem on 14.04

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Feb 2 02:52:09 UTC 2016

On 02/01/2016 02:42 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 1 February 2016 at 03:52, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>> A couple of weeks ago I thought I was having and solved a problem with the
>> speed of mouse clicks on menus, but I was wrong.  I still see the problem
>> but I think it has more to do with the titlebar/menus than the mouse. I
>> tried two different mice with the same result.
>>
>> The problem only occurs in Firefox,Thunderbird and LibreOffice.
>>
>> If I put the mouse pointer on any menu item in the titlebar and push the
>> left mouse button the pointer turns into a hand and the menu does not drop
>> down. In fact if I move the mouse I can drag the window even though the
>> pointer is over the menus. To get the menu to drop down I must tap and
>> release the mouse button very rapidly.
>>
>> In System Settings --> Unsettings I have "Global menu" set to off and
>> "Global Menu In" set to Window Title Bar. It seems odd but even with the
>> Global Menu set to off if I set the Global Menu In to top panel, the global
>> menus appear in the top panel.
>>
>> In Compiz --> Utilities --> Workarounds I have Firefox and OpenOffice Menu
>> Fixes checked. I have also tried unchecking them but the problem remains.
>> The fact that the programs I am having problems with, have workarounds is
>> highly suspicious, but I don't know what else to try.
>>
>> I have tried a lot of Googling but either I am using the wrong terms or no
>> one else is having this problem.
>
> Do you see the problem if you login as guest?
>
> Colin

Yes I do.  I logged out and logged in as a guest. Opened unsettings and
turned off the global menu and set Global menu in to window title bar
and when I clicked on the Firefox menu the pointer turned in to a hand
and the menu did not drop down.

One other thing I find odd. If I turn global menus off and then set
Global menu in to top panel the global menu appears in the top panel
even though I have global menus turned off.  Is this normal?

Regards,  Jim