passwordless ssh from laptop

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 01:10:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>> I think the distinction has become fairly general in practice --
>
> Ergo,
>
>>> Passphrases assumed to be used in indirect authentication like public
>>> key,
>
> vs.
>
>>> and passwords being used when directly authenticating.
>
> Also,
>
>>> And (good) passwords being strings like "m0n<e4UR at Tom"
>
> vs.
>
>>> and (good)
>>> passphrases being more like "I have a monk{y for your atom, Kite."
>>>
>>> Neither of which is any good, for either me or you, now that I have posted this.
>>>
>>> Which one would you find easier to remember?
>
> And memorability is part of the distinction.
>
>> But how does it help?  I can just as easily have a long password, like
>> "I have a monk{y for your atom, Kite."
>[...]

And it occurs to me that I could have mentioned that I unpacked my
comments from yesterday in a blog post, yesterday:

http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2016/12/passwords-passphrases-public-key-and.html

Probably was a waste of three hours trying to tease a little more
meaning out of the subject, but it's there if anyone's interested.

Joel Rees