web interface security

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Dec 28 12:41:40 UTC 2016

On 16-12-28 03:58 AM, thufir wrote:
> I disabled root and password based ssh for increased security.
>
> Using fail2ban or other firewalls, I suppose a web server can blacklist
> certain IP's?
>
> Whether it's a web server, or perhaps a web service, are there other
> options?  To whitelist only one, or a few, IP addresses?  How effective
> would a white list be?
>
> Might there be something like ssh keys?  So that access to a web server
> or service requires a key?

I don't know if this answeres your question, but sounds like what you
want is a VPN.  If any network service is hidden behind the VPN, and
otherwise not accessible to the net, only clients that are part of the
VPN will be able to reach it.

For individual services, you an also use SSH Port forwarding to tunnel
to that service through SSH.