Nautilus closes instead of minimizing?

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Fri Dec 23 05:36:08 UTC 2016

Saturday, December 17, 2016, 12:45:55 PM, Colin wrote:

> On 17 December 2016 at 19:30, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Karl,
>>
>> Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 2:38:22 AM, Karl wrote:
>> > Does this behaviour persist when the OP selects "Minimise" from the
>> > title bar context menu?
>>
>> For 'Files' I don't see any other way to minimize other than the small
>> circle with the - in the middle.

> The context menu is (generally) the menu that is shown by right
> click. The context menu on the title bar is therefore shown by right
> clicking the title bar, which does indeed show a minimise option.

Thanks. I didn't realize that there was much different behavior in the
title bar. It does minimize but does the same thing as other methods.
Still no icons with alt tab.

Saturday, December 17, 2016, 2:02:07 PM, Karl wrote:

> On Sat, 2016-12-17 at 11:30 -0800, rikona wrote:
>> > So a window spread does not show the minimised windows(s)?
>> If by 'window spread' you mean the row of icons resulting from alt
>> tab, then it does NOT appear in that row.

> In Unity, if I have more than one Nautilus window, I can see them in
> the Nautilus launcher context menu. Are they missing there too? If
> so, it sure does sound like "minimise = close", which is bizarre
> indeed.

I got rid of the Nautilus icon in the launcher when I had problems. In
testing I activated Nautilus via the dash. In one of these tests I
noticed that it was not locked to the launcher, and clicked to lock
it. Now it seems to stay in the launcher and I can see a list of
minimized windows. BUT they do NOT return to the state they were in
when minimized - they seem to return to the way they were when first
initiated, even if a LOT more was done since then. [and still no icons
with alt tab]

> I'm mystified by the array of difficulties you've been having. I
> would by now long since have blown it all away and re-installed
> everything from scratch.

That's essentially what I did after the KDE desktop disaster - a
complete, formatted disk new install. The current problems seem to
come from installing some KDE pgms and a lot of other stuff.

You, and the folks on this list have pointed out things that have made
the problems much less than they were originally, and I appreciate
those suggestions VERY much! With those suggestions and the other pgms
I use the system is fairly tolerable and I can be productive without
doing another redo of everything.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016, 12:27:22 PM, Liam wrote:

> On 17 December 2016 at 19:30, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>> For 'Files' I don't see any other way to minimize other than the
>> small circle with the - in the middle.

> Alt-Space, N

Didn't know that - thanks!!! [Still no icons with alt tab though]

--

 rikona