ESP dual boot Windows 10

thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:22:40 UTC 2016

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 13:15:51 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> If it's GPT there are no primary/extended/logical partitions any more.
> There are just partitions, all equal.
>
> In which case, I suggest:
>
> [ ESP ] [ Windows ] [ Ubuntu root ] [ Ubuntu home ] [ Ubuntu swap ]

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: BUDDY

DISKPART> list volume

  Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status
Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------
--------
  Volume 0     C   Acer         NTFS   Partition    915 GB  Healthy
Boot
  Volume 1         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    600 MB  Healthy
Hidden
  Volume 2         ESP          FAT32  Partition    300 MB  Healthy
System
  Volume 3         Push Button  NTFS   Partition     15 GB  Healthy
Hidden

Let's say 30GB total for Linux by shrinking the C drive to create free
space.  Volume 1 is Windows PE, Volume 3 for recovery.  It's not a
problem to install Linux between Volume 0 and Volume 1?

Notably, the GUI diskmgr.msc shows this sequence:

Recovery, ESP, C, Recovery

how much for root, home and swap from the approximate total of 30?  (The
30GB is flexible, I picked a rather low number.)

There's no system image partition -- just the Windows PE and recovery
partitions.

thanks,

Thufir