Create ISO using running ubuntu

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Dec 15 07:39:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 22:42:36 +0530, abhishek jain wrote:
>cannot upgrade to the other version of ubuntu

As already explained, you could simply copy your install to any other
machine. I only recommended to get a 16.10 live media, to adjust the
copy, to fit to the other machine's hardware. The copy itself will
remain 14.04.02. The 16.10 live media should only be used as a tool.
You even could write a script that copies the install and adjust the
copy to the new machine automatically, but you anyway would need a live
media to run this script.

Another possibility would be to generate a list of packages. Add this
list as dependencies and add all the scripts to a meta-package.

Should "generating ko's" be for "building kernel modules"?

IMO dkms should build the modules on other machines, but if you like
it, you could add them to a package, too.

Then instead of copying and adjusting the copy, you could install
14.04.02 from an Ubuntu media and after that install your
meta-package{,s}.

Now that you mentioned scripts and seemingly kernel modules, I wonder
how skilled you are? Could you write scripts that e.g. use the the
"sed" command to replace entries in /etc/fstab? Do you know how to
partition a hard disk? If yes and assuming other users don't, but
should get your install, then do you know how to partition by using a
script? What is the reason, that you ask to make an ISO, instead of
copying?

In regards to

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 18:46:42 +0530, abhishek jain wrote:
>I tried using relinux but it didnt worked.I cannot copy the ubuntu
>contents onto the other system.Please share any link if possible or
>any tool which can create iso from ubuntu .

you likely followed a guide such as

https://www.howtoforge.com/creating-your-own-distributable-ubuntu-dvd-relinux ,
right?

You should describe which steps didn't work and quote the messages you
got.

Regards,
Ralf