Create ISO using running ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:00:16 UTC 2016

On 14 December 2016 at 13:55, abhishek jain <ashujain9727 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Team
>
> I'm using ubuntu 14.04.2  release and have installed multiple packages onto
> it using apt-get install.The current size of the ubuntu is as below ..
>
> df -h
>
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1       906G   29G  832G   4% /
> none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
> udev            5.7G  4.0K  5.7G   1% /dev
> tmpfs           1.2G  1.3M  1.2G   1% /run
> none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
> none            5.7G   76K  5.7G   1% /run/shm
> none            100M   40K  100M   1% /run/user
>

> Is there any method of creating customized iso using live running ubuntu so
> that I can use the same ubuntu on other system with same packages installed
> by default.I tried using relinux but it didn't work.
>
> Please help me regarding this.

This is an FAQ so I'm just going to copy-and-paste my own answer from last time:

It's not as simple as that. It can be done but it's complicated.

However, Linux is free software -- there's no copy protection, no
serial numbers, no hardware fingerprinting or anything like there is
in Windows.

So you can copy an installed system from one machine to another and it
will still work.

Before you copy it, avoid installing any special device drivers for
the graphics controller.

Keep the partitioning simple and duplicate that on the other machine.
Update /etc/fstab with the new device names. Reinstall GRUB on the new
machine and that's it, you should be up and running.

No need for install DVDs or reinstallation.

But if things like "adjust fstab" and "reinstall grub" sound complex
and are not things that you know how to do or how to quickly find out,
then this is probably not a task for you, I'm afraid.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com