USB not working with camera

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Dec 14 08:35:51 UTC 2016

I currently tried to load some photos into Ubuntu 16.04, using a USB
adapter for the 16G SD chip used in a Panasonic FZ200 camera. The chip
is formatted by the camera. When plugged into any USB port on the box,
the red LED on the adapter keeps repeating a series of flashes, but
nothing is seen by Ubuntu - nothing happens on the screen, and discs
does not show the USB at all.

This works without any problem in my old 12.04 box, and has been used
many, many times to transfer pictures. On discs in 12.04, it looks
like a W95 fat32 LBA (0x0c) - nothing fancy at all. The USB/chip
combination is also readable on a Windows box.

A brand-new, never used, factory formatted, same brand SD chip DOES
show up in 16.04 and also looks like a W95 fat32 LBA (0x0c) drive.

Other devices, USB flash drives, and USB hard disks do seem to work
properly on the 16.04 box. I have tried several different USB/chip
adapters, all of which work in 12.04, but none of them work in 16.04.
I am wondering if there is some kind of camera file format
incompatibility that occurs in 16.04 that worked okay in 12.04 even
though they both look like a W95 fat32 LBA (0x0c) drive.

Any ideas why it doesn't work in 16.04?

Thanks,

 rikona