Change IP address of ethernet device while system is running

Christoph Pleger Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Dec 8 11:53:43 UTC 2016

Hello,

on a computer running Ubuntu 16.04, I am trying to change the static IP
address of an ethernet device, while the system is running. Therefore, I
edit the file /etc/network/interfaces.d/${IFNAME} and then execute the
command 'service networking restart'. But with that, the ethernet device
is not switched to the new IP address, but it keeps the old address and
gets the "new" address as secondary IP address. In former versions of
Ubuntu, with the same steps as above, the old IP address was replaced by
the new one.

What do I have to do now to switch the IP address without a reboot?

Regards
  Christoph Pleger