Nautilus acting up

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Dec 6 14:13:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-12-06 at 14:29 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> I do not know why special instructions are given on multiple pages to
> configure Nemo to manage the desktop, then.

I didn't read those instructions, but I suspect to get rid of Nautilus
managing the desktop hidden under Nemo, managing the desktop, too. I
guess when starting an Unity or a GNOME session, by default Nautilus is
started. After launching Nemo, Nautilus likely is just hidden, but
perhaps not replaced.

> However, Maté is an independent project and Ubuntu officially supports
> it. There's an official Remix and so on.

I tested the Mate 16.10 live media. IMO Ubuntu Mate is well done.
Desktop environments in general are not to my taste, but apart from
this, it perhaps is the best choice of all Ubuntu flavours.

For those who want to test different amd64 Ubuntu flavours, I wrote a
script to download and check the ISO against signed checksums.

Make it executable by running

  chmod a+x luamd64_1610.sh

Download Ubuntu flavors by running

  ./luamd64_1610.sh ubuntustudio