Nautilus acting up

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Dec 6 11:33:52 UTC 2016

By default Nemo does capture the desktop.
Note, I'm booted to Arch Linux using openbox.
Things might differ when running Unity, I only want to give a few hints.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ nemo 2>/dev/null
^C
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$

Even after closing Nemo, it requires Ctrl+C to stop managing the desktop.
FWIW there's another fork of GNOME's file manager named caja.

Even with the no-desktop switch, nemo continues to run after closing its
window.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ nemo --no-desktop 2>/dev/null
^C
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$

FWIW all this GNOMEish crap could be managed by dconf using the dconf
command or the gsettings command. Just a few examples, you need to find
out yourself what you need to change for Unity, nautilus and Nemo, Google
could be helpful.

By command line dconf as well as gsettings also allow to set values, there's
a dconf GUI available, too, named dconf-editor, the Ubuntu package's name is
dconf-editor, too, but the GUI makes handling dconf just more complicated.

So here are the examples, how to browse through dconf:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ nemo --help | grep desktop
  --no-desktop                Never manage the desktop (ignore the GSettings preference).
  --force-desktop             Always manage the desktop (ignore the GSettings preference).
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings list-schemas | grep nemo
org.nemo.preferences
org.nemo.icon-view
org.nemo.sidebar-panels.tree
org.nemo.desktop
org.nemo.list-view
org.nemo.compact-view
org.nemo.window-state
org.nemo.plugins
org.nemo.sidebar-panels
org.nemo
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ gsettings list-keys org.nemo.desktop
text-ellipsis-limit
show-desktop-icons
ignored-desktop-handlers
background-fade
computer-icon-visible
desktop-layout
home-icon-visible
trash-icon-visible
network-icon-visible
show-orphaned-desktop-icons
font
volumes-visible
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ dconf dump /org/nemo/
[preferences]
show-up-icon-toolbar=true
click-policy='single'
default-folder-viewer='list-view'
show-label-search-icon-toolbar=false
show-edit-icon-toolbar=true
show-hidden-files=true
date-format='iso'
show-computer-icon-toolbar=false
show-reload-icon-toolbar=true
show-location-entry=true

[window-state]
start-with-sidebar=true
side-pane-view='places'
geometry='1150x799+-28+39'
maximized=true
sidebar-bookmark-breakpoint=0

[list-view]
default-visible-columns=['name', 'size', 'date_modified', 'permissions', 'owner', 'group']
default-column-order=['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'permissions', 'owner', 'group', 'date_accessed', 'where', 'mime_type', 'octal_permissions']

Regards,
Ralf

PS:

I don't use a desktop at all and my favourite file manager is spacefm.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ spacefm --help | grep desktop
  --desktop                    Launch desktop manager daemon
  --desktop-pref               Show desktop settings
  --set-wallpaper              Set desktop wallpaper to FILE
  --no-desktop                 No function - for compatibility only