Unsatisfied dependency

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sat Dec 3 11:01:05 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-12-03 at 10:25 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On Sat, 2016-12-03 at 10:05 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> > After some searching I actually found the packages available for
> > 16.10 and have installed them, and it's all working OK.
> >
> > The puzzle remains as to why they were omitted from the 16.10
> > upgrade.

Ubuntu maintainers could have several reasons to drop a package that
was supported by an older release. However, as long as no other package
from official repositories depends on those packages, it's not an issue
for Ubuntu. It could be an issue for users, if important software gets
dropped, but even this usually doesn't happen without a reason. On this
list nobody but you (the OP) seems to feel the need of those packages.

> Can you post the link please?

The problem is solved for the OP and the OP is not interested to
provide the solution for other users, too. It's more important to the
OP, to discuss the Ubuntu policy in regards to third party packages and
to blame me to be "completely wrong" and "unhelpful".

OTOH using packages for 16.04 with 16.10 could break 16.10 with the
next upgrade. It's not much likely that this happens, but not
impossible, so it might be better, if a dirty solution, to solve a
third party package issue, isn't available by the archive.

Regards,
Ralf