Scanner no longer works with my AMD PC

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Aug 23 20:35:33 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-08-23 at 21:34 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Di, 2016-08-23 at 19:37 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2016-08-23 at 20:31 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > >

> > > hi,

> > > how about https://ubuntu-mate.org/ ...
> > > it is an officially supported Ubuntu flavour ...
> > >
> > > ciao
> > > 	oli
> > Which is EXACTLY what I just did, as I said, in the message you
> > just
> > replied to :-)
> >
> well, you said you wanted to install Ubuntu and then try to install
> the
> mate desktop on top (at least that was how i read the above) ... that
> was why i pointed to the pre-made ubuntu-mate isos ;)
>
> ciao
> 	oli

To clear up any misunderstandings, I've tried to do VM installs of both
the "Standard" and "Mate" Ubuntu ISOs and both of them repeatedly
failed disastrously when when I booted them under Virtualbox.
Strangely, the Mint ISO booted perfectly, first time, installed a
working system and is now updated and ready for use.

I will try again, with Liam's workaround, to get the Ubuntu installers
to work when I again get time to fool around with them. If successful I
can again try to explore the roots of my problems with the scanner.