Ubuntu 16.04.1; ClamAV 0.99 clamd.socket not created on start

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Aug 21 07:13:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 22:07:13 -0500, Chris wrote:
>I have no earthly idea where it's getting that path since I don't have
>it in any of my .conf files.

Google:

  https://www.google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%27%2Fvar%2Flib%2Fclamav%2Fclamd.socket%27:+connect:+No+such+file+or+directory%29

First hit is the Arch Wiki,

  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ClamAV#Error:_Clamd_was_NOT_notified ,

on Ubuntu, before running the "touch" command run

  $ sudo -i

all commands of course without the prompts "$" or "#":

  "Error: Clamd was NOT notified

  If you get the following messages after running freshclam:

    WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Cannot connect to clamd through
    /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock connect(): No such file or directory

  Add a sock file for ClamAV:

    # touch /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock
    # chown clamav:clamav /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock

  Then, edit /etc/clamav/clamd.conf - uncomment this line:

    LocalSocket /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock

  Save the file and restart the daemon"

In your case edit

  LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd.socket

  # LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd.socket

now with the leading "#".

Regards,
Ralf