Ubuntu 16.04.1; ClamAV 0.99 clamd.socket not created on start

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Sun Aug 21 02:00:56 UTC 2016

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 20:19:38 -0500, Chris wrote:
>Prior to my upgrade to 16.04.1LTS from 14.04.4LTS [snip]
>
>Starting the daemon by running sudo /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon start
>does not create the socket file.
>
>Running sudo service clamav-daemon start does not create the socket.
>
>[snip]

Your 16.04 does not use upstart anymore, it switched to systemd.

To check the status run

  systemctl status clamav-daemon.service

regarding the Ubuntu policy it should be automatically started, when
installing the package, however to enable start during startup run

  sudo systemctl enable clamav-daemon.service

to start or restart it, if a session is running, run

  sudo systemctl restart clamav-daemon.service

Unfortunately mentioning systemd is not worth a single note:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes

The reason likely is, that the people who are allowed to edit the Wiki,
just cared about release notes regarding 15.x to 16.04, ignoring that
Ubuntu users might upgrade from one LTS to another.

If you google for something like

  ubuntu release upgrade 14 to 16

the above link already is the most informative link. I was willing
to correct a few Wikis, but even if you apply for membership at
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wiki-editors/+members nothing happens,
let alone the selfish and ignorant people from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-documentation . Sending corrections
of even entirely wrong Wikis are ignored, they only need to copy and
paste from an email or at least completely remove bad Wiki pages.
Ubuntu has got a few people who are allowed to edit Wikis, so there is
on the one hand not enough manpower and on the other hand regarding
special domains, such as pro-audio, often a serious lack of knowledge.

However, you need to become familiar with systemd, consider to read at
https://www.freedesktop.org and https://wiki.archlinux.org/ about
systemd, if you shouldn't find a satisfying Ubuntu Wiki.

Regards,
Ralf