Hardware Enablement Stack notice?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 15:38:14 UTC 2016

On 08/20/2016 09:27 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 08:55:47 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I've been running LTS releases since 10.04 and this is the first one
>> of these notices I have received.  At first I was confused about it
>> but I read the wiki and some other links and I have a better
>> understanding now.
>
> You provide information that isn't required, but you doesn't provide
> the required information.
>
> When did you get what notice on what Ubuntu release?

That's what happens when I get in a hurry. I am running an up to date
14.04. I got the notice a couple of days ago from the from the normal
software updater.

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL
>
> Assuming you were using a backported kernel and support reached the
> End-of-life when upgrading to another Ubuntu release, then you most
> likely don't need a backported kernel anymore and you could switch to
> the "regular" kernel, generic, lowlatency or what ever, without "lts"
> extension.

Nothing exotic, just normal 14.04 kept up to date with the software
updater.

>> I am running VirtualBox 5.0.26 which Synaptic shows in Local/Contrib.
>> How will running this update effect my VBox install?
>
> What update, Ubuntu release, just linux-foo-lts, virtualbox? The latest
> version of virtualbox provided by official repositories is 5.0.24. If
> it's possible to build kernel modules for virtualbox depends on the
> installed kernel version (and unlikely in your case, possible kernel
> patches) and version of virtualbox.

> If you are using virtualbox from a third party, you would get best
> support by the third party providing this version.

I ask about VBox because every time I get an automatic update to VBox I
see a msg about compling and the kernel.

Regards, Jim