All apps not showing on Ubuntu 16.04's Software Center

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 15:38:33 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 3:00 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 August 2016 at 17:48, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net>
> wrote:

> Before I
> and

> >  On a slight tangent, after upgrading my systems from 14.04 Trusty to
> 16.04
> > Xenial, I have noticed that the updates indicator in the new Ubuntu
> Software
> > application doesn't mesh with the indicators in the old Software Updater
> > [which is launched using the command: update-manager
> >
> > I find that you can run the update-manager and it gives a lot of detail
> > about the updates, as it always has, but even after running it, the
> updates
> > indicator in Ubuntu Software. They may even be completely different
> updates
> > (the new application has so little information it's hard to tell).
> >
> > I have not yet seen an explanation of the differences between the new
> update
> > tool vs. the old. I suppose there's no way to view the software updates
> and
> > see the status in detail as you could using the old tool. When I think
> to, I
> > run both, but I can't tell what the new one is doing different, if
> anything.
>
> I rarely use the GUI so not exactly sure what you mean by view the
> software updates and see the status in detail, but possibly running,
> in a terminal
> sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
> will tell you what you want. I much prefer that way as I like to see
> exactly what is happening.
>
> Colin

The thing I like most about the update-manager command is it presents all
the updates AND the release notes for the updates in a convenient GUI. So I
can read through the notes and look for trouble and/or improvements based
upon the changes that have occurred.

Yes I know you can do THAT in the CLI, too; it seems to be installed by
default on a Debian Jessie VM I just set up.