Starting gnome-terminal in foreground?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Aug 12 18:51:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 03:59:37PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >  jw at bu201:~$ apropos gnome-terminal
> >  gnome-terminal (1)   - is a terminal emulation application.
> >  gnome-terminal.wrapper (1) - is a terminal emulation application.
> >  jw at bu201:~$ man gnome-terminal | grep factory
> >  jw at bu201:~$ man gnome-terminal.wrapper | grep factory
> >  jw at bu201:~$
> >
> >Maybe the relevant man page is not installed on my system (16.04)?
>
> There isn't "disable" mentioned by
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/gnome-terminal.1.html
>
> But "disable" is mentioned by
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/wily/man1/gnome-terminal.1.html
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/gnome-terminal.1.html
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/gnome-terminal.1.html

So they have REMOVED this option? Does that mean that it is deprecated?

> Consider to take a look at my script:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2016-August/286871.html

Your script is an interesting idea. Unfortunately, the "wget" was just a
simplified example. In reality, I want to have something like

  #! /bin/sh

  SANDBOX=`mktemp -d`
  GITDIR=$SANDBOX/git
  WORKTREE=$SANDBOX/wt

  git --work-tree $WORKTREE --git-dir $GITDIR clone -s -q -n /some/git/repo $GITDIR
  git --work-tree $WORKTREE --git-dir $GITDIR branch $some_branch
  git --work-tree $WORKTREE --git-dir $GITDIR checkout $some_branch

  (cd $WORKTREE && gnome-terminal --disable-factory)

  rm -rf $SANDBOX

In a nutshell, this opens a new terminal with a clean working tree of a
specific branch to do any ad-hoc operations on that branch without havon to
care about the current branch or any modifications in the current working
tree.

--
Josef Wolf
jw at raven.inka.de