All apps not showing on Ubuntu 16.04's Software Center

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:28:19 UTC 2016

On 11 August 2016 at 00:18, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 08/10/2016 03:53 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> Following an upgrade it is possible that you have both Software Centre
>> and Ubuntu Software installed. As Liam has said Software Centre is now
>> not recommended (with 16.04) so you may wish to uninstall it to avoid
>> confusion.
>>

> When I first read this I thought that it couldn't be true, but it is as I
> have them both open right now.  I can't imagine why the install did not
> remove the old Software Center if it has been superseded.

My understanding is that an upgrade will not remove anything unless it
is not possible to leave it installed (due to a conflict of some
sort).  The upgrade software cannot know whether you want something
that is no longer the recommended app to be removed or not.

> I don't think this was my problem. They look different enough that I know I
> was observing the problem in the new Gnome Ubuntu Software app. Before I
> posted here I did some googling.  I couldn't find my problem but other
> people were having problems with it.  A lot of them would come back and say
> their problem went away on it's own. I am guessing that a reboot fixed it
> for me.

That does sound like a bug.  To prove it one would have to go through
the update again, which is a bit tricky.

Colin