System requirements - Was: Out of Space

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 10 11:18:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 12:39:48 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>well, i beg to disagree ...
>https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/ubuntu/red/+build/10539905
>(see the "Finished" line)
>
>it makes quite some difference if your system is powerful enough to
>build something like firefox or libreoffice in 1-2h less when you need
>to verify a bugfix locally and colleagues are possibly waiting for you
>as well ;)

That's correct, I need more than 1 hour to build something like firefox
or a kernel and apart from this my tmpfs is to small to build something
like firefox, building a kernel usually works, but one time also
failed in tmpfs. My point isn't that every user should use such a slow
computer, with as less RAM as I do. My CPU wastes 45W, but is powerful
enough for pro-audio, as 4 GiB of RAM are either, the frequency scaling
governor just needs to be at a fixed frequency, usually "performance".

For building large software, such as Firefox several times a day, I
would buy a different machine in the first place, a CPU with more and
faster cores, that wastes more Watt, but OTOH could use the "ondemand"
frequency scaling governor for this task and I also would add more RAM.

I could use the same mobo, just with another CPU and more RAM. The
more powerful CPU and the RAM were available, when I bought the
components for my computer years ago.

IOW there still is no need to get a new machine again and again for
most tasks, there are just exceptional tasks that require for usage and
development the latest and greatest, e.g. for simulations or video,
while video anyway isn't a Linux domain. I'm talking about
professional NLE, so please no examples about all the professional
companies, that are using Linux for some aspects of film production.

Unless you are not developing something like math intensive simulations
or NLE professional video editing, you just need a suitable computer
for this task, but it could be > 10 years old.

Regards,
Ralf