Out of Space

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:00:01 UTC 2016

On 8 August 2016 at 18:16, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
> forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot being
> 850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the machines bios
> to reboot to at the end of the install.
>
>> Colin
>
> I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done starting
> with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would not let me out
> of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it pleased on the 4th or
> 5th try. I have prepared a new disk with gparted, and the *buntu
> installer can't see it as anything but an unformatted, unpartitioned
> drive.

It's you.

I don't know what you're doing, Gene, but it's you.

I have installed *hundreds* of Linux distros this way, going back over
20y now. I almost never use the distro's own partitioning tool and I
never, EVER let it auto-partition unless it's a disposable VM with a
blank virtual disk that will only ever run a single OS.

I can personally attest that you can use DOS fdisk, Linux fdisk,
cfdisk, Partition Magic, GParted, and at a push even NT Disk Manager
to create your partitions and then use them in the installer with the
following distributions:
* Debian
* Red Hat Linux
* CentOS
* Fedora
* Crunchbang
* Arch
* Corel LinuxOS
* Caldera OpenLinux
* SUSE
* OpenSUSE
* SLES
* Lindows
* Linspire
* Xandros
* Mint
* Mint Debian Edition
* Mandrake
* Mandriva
* Slackware

I could go on but I've made my point. I have run every major distro
since 1995 and I have tried ALL of them on a variety of hardware as
well as VMs and _YES_, you can pre-create partitions and use them in
all of them.

Even Fedora which hates it.

The only one you can't are pre-configured servers such as SME Server,
ClarkConnect, OpenMediaVault, Smoothwall etc., where they _must_ do it
for you.

> IMNSHO  thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken.

You're wrong. I am no greenhorn myself here, Gene, I am 50 next year
and I've been using Unix systems since 1988 and I am telling you that
YOU ARE WRONG.

I am sorry, but you are wrong.

What Colin and I and a million other are describing is the truth, and
I've done it with more Linux distros than I suspect you even know
exist because that's one of the things I do: I evaluate OSes and I
write about them, for money.

I have read you describe how you can't use NetworkManager because you
do not configure your network in a proper, standards-compliant way,
and you'd rather rip out part of the network stack of your OS and
hand-wire it than reconfigure your network in correctly with, for
instance, DHCP leases permanently assigned to MAC addresses and a
local name server.

I have read you describe how you control CNC mills with Linux boxes
and need a realtime kernel *but* you also want to run a full local
Internet client stack on those machines, with a web browser etc., and
you complain that it doesn't work. No, it doesn't, because that is not
something that a sensible sysadmin would want to do. You should use
realtime systems for machine control work and not have browsers etc.
on them at all, and you should browse the web and do email on a modern
distro with the standard kernel and all current patches.

But I know that you like to do things your own way, and that is your
privilege. They're your computers, you use them as you wish. That's
fine.

But you don't get to complain that, for instance, NetworkManager is
broken when it works fine for hundreds of millions of users but your
network config is wildly non-standard. I have told you off for this
before.

And now, you are trying it again, saying that the Ubuntu install
program cannot do things that I HAVE PERSONALLY DONE WITH IT IN THE
LAST 30 DAYS.

It works fine, Gene. I have seen it with my own eyes. I've been using
this distro daily since October 2004. There has never been a release
version of Ubuntu that I have not installed. It has had problems, but
the installer 100% definitely can install onto pre-configured
partitions and it works great.

Fedora's Anaconda installer, not so much.

But Ubiquity is fine.