Out of Space

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Aug 8 16:16:16 UTC 2016

On Monday 08 August 2016 05:27:29 Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 August 2016 at 10:20, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> > With todays installers, how can you make it use an already prepared,
> > labeled and formatted disk? Thats a trick I have never seen done.
>
> When asked where to install select "Something Else" then you can
> choose what you want with each partition.  If you leave the Format
> checkbox unticked it will not format that partition.

But it still refuses to recognize a prepared disk, and you are still
forced to rewrite the parttition table, and may wind up with /boot being
850 gigs into the terabyte disk, and out of reach of the machines bios
to reboot to at the end of the install.

> Colin

I have done that Colin, every ubuntu install I have ever done starting
with 6-04 LTS. And become stuck in a loop, which it would not let me out
of until I gave up, restarted, and let it do as it pleased on the 4th or
5th try. I have prepared a new disk with gparted, and the *buntu
installer can't see it as anything but an unformatted, unpartitioned
drive.

IMNSHO thats BS, and the *buntu installer therefore is broken. So when
linuxcnc migrated to wheezy, that installer at least let me partition it
the way I wanted it. So all 4 machines in my home network are running
debian wheezy, very happily I might add.

Something that Just Works(TM), day in, day out is a very welcome breath
of fresh air.  Sure its an oddball setup, with a pinned RTAI patched
kernel, but it does the job I need it to do very well indeed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)