Upgrade from 14.04.4LTS -> 16.04.1LTS full of problems.

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 8 01:36:25 UTC 2016

The upgrade itself went smoothly, no errors of any kind were noted
however the system is very unstable. Instead of listing each and every
issue noted in my syslog I've put one of the hourly snippets on
pastebin. Some major issue - https://pastebin.com/uvTcJZxH

Bind9, which I use as a local caching nameserver is running as shown in
service --status-all [ + ]  bind9 Pastebin link to syslog entries on
startup - https://pastebin.com/pbxD4RKy

When booting into kernel 4.4.0-31 (not the upstart one) there are no
issues shown on the screen during boot. As the boot finishes up it
drops to a tty1 console login screen. It will sit there for maybe 30sec
then the flashing cursor will disappear. After about a minute the
screen will go black a single dash can be seen in the upper left
corner. Another 30sec or so the mouse cursor only will appear on the
screen and about 30sec after that the log-in screen will appear for
Gnome 3.18.3. I did a restart last night about 8:35 but the dmesg file
is dated 4 Aug as the last time it was modified. I'll post it to
pastebin if it would help.

Many more problems to note but I'll get to those tomorrow.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C