Out of Space

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 13:31:50 UTC 2016

On 7 August 2016 at 12:47, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> I disagree with that advice Ralf. I have had a newer kernel just
> installed, to be located far enough into the disk that the bios could
> not reach it to boot it.

What kind of PC and what kind of disk and controller?

This used to be a common problem in the era of 486s and early Pentium
1 machines, but it's rare now. Was this very old hardware?

> Because of that, I have had to redo the default partitioning so as to
> have a separate /boot partition of a bit over 1Gb.
>
> And make sure that when done, before pressing enter, that it is the FIRST
> partition. I have had installers (including ubuntu's) re-arrange the
> partition list on me several times.  Bad dog, no biscuit...

Good advice (for very very old hardware, anyway).

I never let automatic partitioning tools run, unless it's for a
single-disk single-boot system: 1 empty HD, 1 OS. Then it can work,
but it can still screw up -- e.g. putting swap on Flash (bad plan), or
enabling swap in VMs (pointless).