Out of space

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:47:04 UTC 2016

On 3 August 2016 at 22:11, Richard Barmann <reb at barmannsbar.com> wrote:
> I will have to go to Office Depot and get me a larger thumb drive. I have 3
> that are each 2 at 4GB 1 at 2GB. I will have to back up the "data" file for
> Kununtu and the "home" for Ubuntu.My main concern is Gnucash and Genealogy.

I hope you are already backing up important data and not relying just
on the hard disk.  PCs and Disks can go up in smoke (literally or
metaphorically) at any time.  Also do not rely on a thumb drive as
your principle backup, they are even more likely to fail.  Finally
when backing up make absolutely certain that you have backed up the
right data.  Preferably by occasionally doing a test restore and
making sure it works.  For Gnucash you need to backup your accounts
file which will likely be called something like accounts.gnucash. It
is probably a good idea to copy all the gnucash automatic backup files
also, which will be in the same folder with with long string of digits
in the filename representing the date/time.

Colin