screen sharing on Ubuntu?

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Wed Aug 3 11:11:26 UTC 2016

Have a look at X2go (some claim it to be the successor of [free-] NX.

Long time ago, you neither needed  client nor server side installing of anything, and were able to set-up a remote X-session (just enable xdmcp, perhaps that is still possible, didn't check last 15 years;-)
>From the top of my head, it was: "X -query REMOTESERVERNAME (-once)" or "X  -indirect REMOTESERVERNAME ( -once)", after switching to a non-graphical screen with ctr-alt-F2

Reason for needing parts at both ends, is that people want compression, encryption and have on a remote desktop access to local devices (usb-sticks, audio/video, crypto)

Hans