screen sharing on Ubuntu?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Aug 3 08:07:05 UTC 2016

I have a need to allow a Windows user to share my Ubuntu desktop
screen.

vinagre (VNC access) does not support encryption, or at least no method
that RealVNC on Windows understands. I'm not prepared to have the
session unencrypted. Also, when I experimentally, and on my own local
network, allowed an unencrypted session, the result was unusably slow.

xrdp is not quite what I'm after. xrdp allows people to log in, using
RDP, to a server running X and get their own X session. Their session
will run on the server, but be displayed locally, so they don't need a
local X server. Cool, but I want to display an existing session to
someone else.

There's an open source thing called Synergy that looks very nice, but
it needs to be installed on both ends.

Are there any workable solutions for sharing a Linux screen with a
Windows user?

Note: I have successfully used GotoMeeting, but a Windows or Mac user
has to initiate the session. Have also used Google Hangouts, that
worked well. Skype worked, sorta (not well). TeamViewer works very
well, but it is commercial and the other person has to install
TeamViewer, so the same problem as Synergy. There are a dozen other
webby things, and several that require me to download and run some
Windows software :-)

Anyone found anything good for this purpose?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4