Out of space

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 3 07:59:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 08:15:09 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>On 3 August 2016 at 01:47, Richard Barmann <reb at barmannsbar.com> wrote:
>> I know you are tired. Lets get back another day. I appreciate all
>> you have done. I will get back with you another day or if you feel
>> like sending  me some instruction in the next day or two. we will go
>> at it again. Get some rest.
>
>I wonder whether it might be simpler just to backup all your data and
>re-install Ubuntu, telling the installer to erase the complete disk in
>the process.

Very easy would be to boot one install after the other and to
backup /home to a possibly available external drive.

If no external drive is available and there are other locations used
for data, it remains to be something that is hard, at least time
consuming, to explain:

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 00:46:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>Do you want the results of sudo lshw -c cpu. I see 32 bit and 64 bit
>>in there.
>
>No not necessarily, since if we reorganize your installs, this
>information isn't needed. But you should consider to switch to 64-bit,
>assumed your machine should provide it. Perhaps it's better to just
>backup your data and to wipe out all old installs and then to install a
>new 64-bit Ubuntu.

To give instructions, on how to backup all data, we at least need to
know the location of /home of all three installs and if there are any
other places used to store data, or he simply backups all partitions to
compressed tar archives. In this case explaining how to mount each
partition is easy to do, but there would be three new pitfalls instead.
The OP should do this using a live media, he should own an external
drive and last but not least, he still should have access to the
mailing list, which might require detailed explanation, on how to do
this using a live media.
Perhaps everything compressed to tar archives could be backuped to
the new sda1 ext4, but then he needs to care about it, when making the
new install or disconnect sda, so sdb would become sda and so on.

Anyway, a new install could be well maintained from the beginning.
Assuming the computer is 64-bit architecture, release upgrades could be
done in the future, when Ubuntu drops 32-bit support. This are two
important advantages, but they don't make it less easy to explain how
to backup.

I had a rest, so unlikely tend to do mistakes now, but at least today
and tomorrow I have more or less no time for long explanations, if any.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

Unfortunately they don't explain how to do it and they even forgot to
mention, that sometimes a simple  cp -pri  (copy) could be the best
approach.