Out of space

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Aug 2 22:46:38 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 18:22:01 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
>On 08/02/2016 05:20 PM, Vesa-Pekka Tapani Mikkola wrote:
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this thingy didn't
                                                   wrote it :D, I did.
>> cat /path/to/sd??/mount/point/etc/fstab > /tmp/fstab_kubuntu16_04.txt
>>
>richard at richard-desktop:~$ cat /path/to/sdb7/mount/point/etc/fstab >
>/tmp/fstab_ubuntu_15_04.txt
>cat: /path/to/sdb7/mount/point/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
>richard at richard-desktop:~$ cat /path/to/sdb8/mount/point/etc/fstab >
>/tmp/fstab_ubuntu_16_04.txt
>cat: /path/to/sdb8/mount/point/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
>richard at richard-desktop:~$ cat /path/to/sd??/mount/point/etc/fstab >
>/tmp/fstab_kubuntu16_04.txt
>cat: '/path/to/sd??/mount/point/etc/fstab': No such file or directory
>richard at richard-desktop:~$

I have no time to explain it detailed right now. Perhaps somebody else
could explain it. You could start with this:

  Add the file /etc/fstab as attachment to an email.

It's anyway nonsense to use "cat", I seriously need a rest, I made
this mistake for the second time ;). For the other installs you need to
find the path of the other installs' partitions that contain /etc and
then you need to attach the file /etc/fstab from those installs to
emails, too. Using  cat  is possible to, but not necessary. Howver, if
you shouldn't understand the /path/to/mount/point part, somebody else
need to explain it, or you need to wait one or a few days, until I've
got some time again.

If we see all fstab files, we know what partitions are used by which
install. We need to know this, to reorganize the available space.

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 18:08:10 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
>I do not need Windows. Please forget #3.
>
>Do you want the results of sudo lshw -c cpu. I see 32 bit and 64 bit
>in there.

No not necessarily, since if we reorganize your installs, this
information isn't needed. But you should consider to switch to 64-bit,
assumed your machine should provide it. Perhaps it's better to just
backup your data and to wipe out all old installs and then to install a
new 64-bit Ubuntu.

Regards,
Ralf