lost wifi, ethernet, docking station with 16.04 kernel signing.

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Mon Apr 25 13:23:39 UTC 2016

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 20:33:25 -0400
Peter Silva <peter at bsqt.homeip.net> wrote:

> Had been running pre-release versions of 16.04 since December.
> Everything was working fine, until last week when kernel module
> signing was added. I need three external kernel modules for my
> laptop: evdi (external display over USB) , MT7630 (wireless), and now
> they all fail to install with:
>
> root at blacklab:/usr/src/evdi-1.0.335# insmod evdi.ko
> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module evdi.ko: Required key not
> available root at blacklab:/usr/src/evdi-1.0.335#

I am guessing you are booting with Secure Boot enabled? If so, either
disable it or generate your own keys and add them to the firmware or
the MOK (Machine Owner Key) list. You can then sign the modules
yourself using that key.

You can find some information here:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html

Petter