16.04 static IP wierdness

Mark Haney mark.haney at vifprogram.com
Fri Apr 22 12:36:22 UTC 2016

I just finished building a spanking new 16.04 server VM install.
Typically, I have DHCP assign an IP when doing the install, then going into
the console (on a VMWare cluster) and editing /etc/network/interfaces for
the static IP I want to assign it.

That part was no different that a thousand others I've done.  But I
noticed, when I brought the interface back up after assigning a static IP,
running *ifconfig* still displays the old DHCP address originally
assigned.  Has anyone else noticed this?

It's using the correct IP, I can SSH to it by the static IP, but ifconfig
isn't updating properly.  It's not a serious problem, but this never
happened in previous versions.

Am I missing something here?

--

Mark Haney ::: Senior Systems Engineer