Dragon Naturally Speaking

Scott Blair scott.blair at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 05:59:40 UTC 2016

On 04/18/2016 11:59 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net
> <mailto:cl at isbd.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Apr 03, 2016 at 08:46:22PM -0700, Joseph Loo wrote:
>     > On 04/03/2016 03:05 PM, Scott Blair wrote:
>     > > I have a Marine buddy of mine that is going blind. He has
>     stuff that he
>     > > has written that he wants to put on his computer. My first
>     response was
>     > > Dragon Naturally Speaking. I checked his computer and it is
>     running MS
>     > > Vista and it does not support it. I talked to him about
>     switching to
>     > > Ubuntu. He is fine with that. What programs for Linux that are
>     like
>     > > Dragon Naturally Speaking that are available?
>     > >
>     > >
>     > What are you trying to do. Does he wants to speak to the computer or
>     > listen to what is on the computer.
>     >
>     > Sphinx allows the operator to speak to the computer.
>     > Orca speaks to the operator and tells him what is on the screen.
>     >
>     > Note: My friend says Unit works but gnome-shell is a lot better
>     using Orca
>     > Note: Both are floss programs. Orca is usually available on any
>     distro.
>     > You may need to down load sphinx.
>     >
>     Sphinx would be what he's after, he wants to dictate into the machine
>     and save the text.  However sphinx isn't really "an application" that
>     you can install, it's far messier than that.
>

> If someone is motivated to look deeper into CMU Sphinx, here's where
> you can learn more
>
> http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/
>
> Plus of course various tutorials around the web for getting it to
> work. It sounds fairly experimental; not a finished product.

Thanks, I'm going to look into it. I'll install it on my laptop first so
(hopefully) it will go smoothly on his. I figured he can use Orca to
hear what he types.

--

Scott Blair:
Thanks,

Scott Blair

USMC Defending your freedoms since 10 November 1775

Save on backup time "BackupDevice=Null"

If you don't stand behind our troops,
feel free to stand in front of them.