Thunderbird email not working in ubuntu 14.04

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Apr 12 11:33:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 06:27 -0400, Donald Parsons wrote:
> I cannot send or receive emails.
> My server settings are the default ones.
> What else should I check?

I apologise in advance for my testy tone, Donald, but yours is a
textbook example of a crappy question.

You've basically said "there's something wrong with my email". Not
enough information! Have you tried googling for help? Have you tried
anything at all? If not, why not? If so what did you try? What were the
results?

When you attempt to send an email, what if any error messages do you
see?

When you attempt to pick up email, what if any messages do you see?

As for "default settings" do you mean that you have not changed any
settings since installing Thunderbird? If so, you will need to
configure Thunderbird with at least one email account.

Thunderbird has an automatic configuration mode that sometimes works.
Check out this page:

   https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/automatic-account-configuration

If automatic configuration doesn't work, you may need to manually
configure things:

   https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manual-account-configuration

When you send a request for help to this list, you are asking thousands
of people all over the world to pay attention to you, and to help you.
The least you can do is respect them by doing the basic leg work
yourself.

I found the above two articles by googling "setting up an email account
in thunderbird". It took about 20 seconds. It has taken *substantially*
longer to write this email, and I am still asking myself why I
bothered.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4