tcl editor or IDE (komodo?)

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Apr 11 12:16:42 UTC 2016

At Mon, 11 Apr 2016 07:42:21 +0000 (UTC) "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I've installed ubuntu-make, umake, but can't find a reasonable IDE for my
> tcl needs.  There's a Netbeans plugin which might use, or, if all else
> fails, resort to Eclipse.
>
> The tcl page on IDE's seems woefully out of date and vague:
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/998
>

> The most interesting, komodo, is closed source; I'm installing the open
> source, and free as in beer, komodo edit.  My needs are pretty basic,
> primarily to catch syntax errors and to nicely format tcl and expect with
> standard indenting.  Git I can use from the CLI.
>

> Any suggestions or alternatives?  From time to time I've looked at emacs,
> but it never seemed worth the learning curve, at least for Java.  Perhaps
> it's a better tool for tcl...

Most Tcl'ers don't use an IDE. I used to use (way back in time) XF. These days
I just use MicroEmacs (deb and rpm files available from:
http://www.jasspa.com/), along with the 'standard' AutoTools (autoconf,
automake, aclocal, etc.). And I use the SNIT OO system and tclkits/sdx to
bundle Tcl/Tk applications into kits or starpacks.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933