How to recover from a display driver problem[followup]

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 12:05:33 UTC 2016

On 11 April 2016 at 06:33, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
> The xorg.conf file has not been mandatory for many years. But if you
> have a special setup you can still use it. I think the nvidia
> configuratipon tool uses xorg.conf.

That's right. If your X.org configuration was automatically
constructed, you shouldn't need one -- but if you have modified it,
e.g. by installing binary drivers and configuring them with their
config tool, then the settings are normally stored in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. (My apologies for the errant full stop in the
directory path in my original post.)

The easiest way to fix corrupted display settings is just to nuke the
settings file.