How to recover from a display driver problem

Jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sun Apr 10 19:23:40 UTC 2016

On 04/10/2016 01:47 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-04-11 at 04:39 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>> Try rebooting into the advanced recovery options again and selecting
>> "enable networking". That is actually "enable network, check
>> filesystems, remount everything read/write and then give me a root
>> shell" so it's pretty much exactly what you want.
>
> Sorry, I was working from memory; that's the way it used to work. I
> just checked in a virtual and it's two steps now. First "enable
> networking" then "drop to a root shell".
>
> The result is the same - network running, filesystem checked,
> everything mounted r/w and a root shell.
>
> Regards, K.

Trying to figure out this problem has messed up my mind. Sure enough
enable networking was right there in front of me and I didn't realize
it's significance.

That worked and enabled apt-get to do it's thing. Was able to boot to
14.04 with no crashes. My HP monitor is at a higher resolution than my
no name one, but the system is usable.  I solved that problem at the
original install so I should be able to do it again.

Thanks for everyone's help. Liam, Petter and especially Karl, who was
able to keep giving me solutions to try until I was successful.

Regards,  Jim