NFS mounts not being mounted at boot time.

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 10:56:51 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> At Sat, 9 Apr 2016 18:35:14 +0200 "Ubuntu user" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 5:41 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu does not handle NFS file systems at all the way RedHat/CentOS
>>> does -- RedHat/CentOS mounts NFS file systems with a separate init
>>> script, that is run sometime *after* the network is started.
>>
>> Why should it work like RHEL?
>
> It is just it is not what I expected. I have been using versions of RedHat
> linux since the (old!) 4.5 release back in the 1990s and adding NFS mounts
> 'just worked' without playing any special games.
>>
>> Whether I'm using RHEL or Ubuntu, I use "_netdev" for fstab nfs mounts.
>
> I've never used the '_netdev' option. Of course I have not really touched
> RHEL/CentOS 7 (systemd) yet. All of the RedHat/RHEL/CentOS/Fecora systems I
> have used are all SYSV init systems.

If you check Fedora and the various RHEL and RHEL-clone lists, you'll
find that there are people who ask about having problems mounting nfs
shares from fstab and that it works for them once they add "_netdev"
to the options. Ubuntu's mountall has its own "bootwait" but it
understands "_netdev" too.

By the way, you've probably used upstart on Fedora and RHEL. Fedora
switched to upstart with F9 and Red Hat switched to upstart with
RHEL6, based on F12/F13. Neither of them made as much of a switch as
Ubuntu (which itself didn't go fully native) and they only (1)
replaced sysvinit's "/sbin/init" and (2) used upstart jobs to start
the ttys and to run "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" and "/etc/rc <runlevel>"
(and to go to the rescue or emergency runlevels, if requested).