Wireless on custom live CD not working

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Apr 9 22:33:19 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-04-09 at 13:56 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 09 April 2016 06:40:56 Karl Auer wrote:
> > It will work alongside NM, too - NM will ignore any interface
> > mentioned in/etc/network/interfaces. After you make changes, just
> > restart NM. No need to reboot usually.
>
> Oh?  That must be more recent. Back when dependencies wouldn't let
> you remove N-M, I found I had to, as root, chattr -i on both
> interfaces and resolv.conf else it would overwrite in 5 miniutes what
> I had just configured as above and made it work flawlessly.

I have been using Ubuntu since 2006 and NM since whenever it became the
default and have never seen that behaviour EXCEPT that it has
overwritten resolv.conf. That's why I disable dnsmasq, so I have more
direct control over name service.

> So we've made progress, and maybe it might be usable in another 10
> years.

I've found it very usable for most of its existence, and I'm a network
guy so I'm pretty demanding. I've found that NM gets on with giving me
mobility, easy of use, ease of setting up VPNs and so on, while
/etc/network/interfaces gives me the direct control I often need.
They've worked beside each other for a long time and very effectively.
I'm having a hard time imagining what you might have wanted to do that
NM got in the way of.

Sometimes when I'm working with "ip" and adding addresses or
subinterfaces, mucking about with routes or metrics or whatever, I will
forget to put the relevant interface into /etc/network/interfaces and
restart NM. So five minutes later NM undoes everything I did :-)

> You have ipv6? I don't believe there is ipv6 service within 100 miles
> of me yet, so you are making me slightly jealous. :)

Internode was the first provider in Australia to deliver IPv6 on its
standard offerings.

However, if you want IPv6, it is really very simple to set up a tunnel
with (e.g.) Hurricane Electric, and it's free. You can do it from any
Linux box, or, if you want it always-on or delivered to your whole home
network you can set up a tunnel on any good-quality router. I use
MikroTik. Once your router is providing IPv6 connectivity, whether via
a tunnel or natively, your home devices will generally just start using
it automatically. NAT disappears for IPv6, so check the packet filters
on the router and any devices that traffic is allowed through to.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B
Old fingerprint: 3C41 82BE A9E7 99A1 B931 5AE7 7638 0147 2C3C 2AC4