NFS mounts not being mounted at boot time.

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 14:43:50 UTC 2016

> On Sat, 9/4/16, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
>  Subject: NFS mounts not being mounted at boot time.
>  To: "ubuntu users" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>  Cc: "Robert Heller" <heller at deepsoft.com>
>  Date: Saturday, 9 April, 2016, 4:09
>
>  I am having trouble with a Ubuntu
>  14.04 system that is not mounting NFS files
>  systems at boot time. I have installed nfs-common and have
>  entries in
>  /etc/fstab for the mounts.  I noticed that Ubuntu does
>  not have a startup
>  script to mount NFS disks (the way the RedHat machines I am
>  used to do), since
>  it is not possible to mount NFS filesystems when one mounts
>  local system
>  filesystems, since the network is not up yet.  On all
>  of the RedHat systems
>  there is an init script that runs later that mounts NFS file
>  systems (and also
>  fires up nfslock if needed).  This seems to be missing
>  on Ubuntu (unless I am
>  missing something).  What am I missing?

Hi Rob,

Before I proceed, I would like to say that I am no expert on this.
However I had an issue with ubuntu and NFS mounts that I didn't
have to hunt down since I fixed everything and it works.

However while I  was fixing my issues, I noticed that ubuntu
does some hunting during the boot-up process and I
noticed a couple of files;
Namely nfs-premount and nfs-postmount

As I said I didn't investigate further because I accomplished
what I wanted.

However, my next step would be to search those two
files. What are they and what they do .

hth,

Regards,

s.t.