Wireless on custom live CD not working

Tony Baechler bats at batsupport.com
Sat Apr 9 14:36:08 UTC 2016

On 4/9/2016 3:40 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> How do you set this up? I have both on my custom live CD I've been working
>> on, based on Ubuntu Wily core. The only way I can get wireless to sometimes
>> work and DHCP to assign addresses is with NM. I really don't like NM and
>> would prefer an alternative, but I haven't found anything. If I remove NM, I
>> have to run dhclient by hand. I have wicd-curses installed, but I got
>> reports that it can't find the wireless network, even though it apparently
>> works on standard Debian. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I don't
>> know what and I don't have wireless here to test. Are there better
>> alternatives to NM which will automatically configure the network with DHCP
>> and detect wireless? The CD isn't running X and is intended for the console
>> and command line. It's designed for the blind and comes up talking. I can
>> provide a list of installed packages and download links if interested.
>
> Do you mean that it *does* work ok on the standard Ubuntu desktop image?

No, as I said, I don't have wireless here to test. The people who said the
CD doesn't work for them are running a standard Debian system which does
work. I would assume that it works on the desktop image, but as that runs X
and the CD is specifically designed as a live/rescue CD without X, that
doesn't really help. Also, I forgot to mention that I installed several
non-free firmware packages just in case.